Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Elnor's Kringla

This is for my friend Heather who wanted to know how to make Kringla:

*Elnor is a dear old woman( 100% Norwegian)  who used to take care of my husband when he was a little boy.  She has been married to the same man for I want to say 70 years.  They are the neatest couple and they really love the Lord with all of their heart.  I am blessed to know them.  She just told my mother-in-law that she has 60 pieces of Kringla already in the freezer for Christmas.  (Anyone who stops over, she will run to the freezer and give you a plate of Kringla.)

There is a little bit of preplanning...here we go:

Mix and let set in refrigerator for about 10 hours:
1 cup cultured sour cream
1 cup whipping cream
1 T of Lemon juice

Cream together and add to the above mixture:
1 cup sugar
2 T butter (soft)
1 t vanilla

Add sifted ingredients carefully:
2 1/2 cup flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t nutmeg

Form a soft dough.  Refrigerate dough.  Work with small portions of dough.  Take small pieces of dough and roll into strips about 1/2 inch thick.  You will more than likely need some more flour to roll them out. (This is the trickiest part)

Shape into figure 8's or over lapped circles - easy way out is just to make little breadsticks
(I am just not as good as Elnor with this part...here's turn out perfect, but then she has had many more years of pratice:)

Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Place into tight container while still warm to keep soft.

Spread with butter to serve. (I personally eat them plain)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks Angel!

Sounds like that needs to be tried in our home...I'll let you know when I am ambitious and try it out. Thanks for always encouraging me. : )