Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Praying Life

We are currently starting a book, "A Praying Life," by Paul Miller for our small group.
Here is a small excerpt.
"A praying life, isn't something you accomplish in a year. It is a journey of a lifetime. The same is true of learning how to love your spouse or a good friend. You never stop learning this side of heaven. There is far too much depth in people to be able to capture love easily. Likewise, there is far too much depth in God to capture prayer easily."

I am really enjoying this book thus far and I am excited to see how God uses it to teach me more about him.

I have to be honest I am a crisis prayer. I go from one big thing to the next; adoption, travel, our girls, Jack, jobs for Carl, our marriage. My main focus is whatever is most pressing on my heart. My best prayer times have been in the middle of night feedings with all my children. There is no distraction, I can't write my "to do" list in the dark, it is a time with Jesus and myself. (I do fall alseep half the time, but I really don't think he minds.) There was a song that we used to sing at a church we went to in Sioux Falls and part of the lyrics talked about sitting back against Jesus and feeling his heartbeat and how it is overwhelming. I often think of that feeling when I pray. I think of sitting on the floor around a table (like they would have done back then), eating and having sweet fellowship with my best friend.

I will post more good quotes as I read them.

No comments: