Sunday, November 8, 2009

Orphan Sunday

Every 15 SECONDS, another child becomes an AIDS orphan in Africa

Every DAY 5,760 more children become orphans

Every YEAR 2,102,400 more children become orphans (in Africa alone)
143,000,0002 Orphans in the world today spend an average of 10 years in an orphanage or foster home

Approximately 250,000 children are adopted annually, but…

Every YEAR 14,050,000 children still grow up as orphans and AGE OUT of the system

Every DAY 38,493 children AGE OUT

Every 2.2 SECONDS, another orphan child AGES OUT with no family to belong to and no place to call home

In Ukraine and Russia 10% -15% of children who age out of an orphanage commit suicide before age 18.
60% of the girls are lured into prostitution.
70% of the boys become hardened criminals.5

Many of these children accept job offers that ultimately result in their being sold as slaves. Millions of girls are sex slaves today, simply because they were unfortunate enough to grow up as orphans.

When you are adopting or know someone who is in the process, sometimes these numbers are flashed before you so many times that you become numb to them. I know that I do. But I have been letting them soak into my mind today. My heart breaks for all those children, especially the ones who age out of the system.

I keep thinking about my boys. Today they are not orphans, but they don't know it yet. They have been adopted into our family, but have never met us personally. They have only seen pictures and one short video. Oh - they have no idea what awaits them - A family who has loved them before we knew about them. Three sisters who are so eager to have their brothers home. Cousins who live next door that want to add to the clan. A church family who has been praying for them for months and months. Yes - they have no idea!

I can't wait to tell them about Jesus.
I can't wait to kiss their little cheeks.
I can't wait to sing them to sleep.
I can't wait to love them forever and ever in my home.

One week from right now we will be in Ethiopia- Lord willing - and we will have two little boys who will not be orphans anymore.

Simply beautiful.

4 comments:

Steph T said...

Absolutely beautiful, Angel!

Tengesdal 4 said...

Oh Angel, This brought tears to my eyes!! I can't wait to hear the stories!

Ruth Ann said...

I found you from Rowan Gillson's blog. . .he's one of my photography instructors. :)

This post sends chills up my spine and resonate in my heart. God bless you for what you are doing - My soul thrills with the thought of what these boys are going to get to experience - a FAMILY who loves them even before they've met them in person. May God continue to strengthen you on this journey - you inspire me. :)

Anonymous said...

That last part made me tear up. Beautiful and heartfelt. God Bless you guys.